15 September 2010

Food Photos Galore

Two weeks ago, my Mom and Dad bought me a camera because they are awesome. Since then, I've been clicking away photos of the food I prepare for blog posts. Here are some shots which may or may not have made it into other blog posts or on my Facebook page. Enjoy. Buy local.


A classic French peach tart, sort of. Spiked and spiced whole-wheat crust (ginger and bourbon added), fresh peaches from Wagner's Fruit Farm in Washington County, and a homemade nectarine glaze made with nectarines from Arnold's Farm in Morgan County. I have no idea if it was good or not, as it is patiently waiting in my freezer for a party.


Julia Child's Ratatoullie, classicly prepared, no funny business. It was so, so delicious. The recipe is in her cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking if anyone wants to give it a shot.


Apples from Shrew's Orchard for my brew of applesauce on Labor Day. We all know apples look different on the outside, but I was so taken by how different these varieties of apples look after being peeled. At Wagner's Fruit Farm in Washington County, they grow a centuries old variety of apple called Russets, which have rough, brownish-mustard colored skin and deep golden flesh. Then there are apples like the Cortlands in this picture, whose flesh looks so bright and white, it could've been bleached. Mixing apple varities always makes for the best apple concoctions, I think.


Eggplant, Godfather Peppers and Hillbilly Heirloom Tomatoes from my family's garden. The original idea was that my father and I would tend it...then I got a job and had to move away. So, my Mom and Dad have tended and harvested tons and tons of produce since we planted it in June. These things made, respectively, Savory Spiced Eggplant Jam, Autumn Minestrone, and a simple Heirloom Tomato Salad.


My Heirloom Tomato Salad, with slivered red candy onions, fresh basil and a honey mustard vinegrette, over a toasted, halved multi-grain baguette, drizzeld with olive oil. This proud Italian-American could eat this daily.


Savory Sweet Potato Pie, made with fresh sweet potatoes from Arnold's Farm in Morgan County, farm-fresh brown eggs from New Lexington, local honey chevre and rosemary from my front porch. The crust is a whole-wheat shortbread, which was crumbly and fantastic with the smooth texture of the pie. This has been the main component of my dinners this week.


A birthday cake for my supervisor, Connie. Julia Child's Le Marquis, or chocolate spongecake. No leavening ingredient, just stiffly whipped eggwhites and a gentle hand. Topped with a chocolate buttercream, which I have, I believe, perfected. Swirled with almond buttercream, this cake was awesome. Le Marquis is also in Mastering the Art of French Cooking if anyone would like to make it.

Hope you enjoyed these photos, more are to come. I can't help myself. Oh, and did I mention that when shopping, you should try to buy local? Okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment