03 December 2010

The Patron Saint of Baking

Discovery has always been incredibly exciting to me. Being reared in a cultural system based on a history (be it good or bad) of discovery, conquest and expansion, I don’t know an American who doesn’t identify with that excitement in one way or another. Lately, probably due to some decisions I’ve made and to onslaught of the Christmas season, I’ve been feeling very in tune with some of the religious icons and idolatry I’ve known since being a small child.

I like to tell people that I was partially raised Catholic. I was baptized, kicking, screaming and burning red in the face, in a Catholic Church. I went to Saturday School at a Catholic Church and made my first penance, and first communion at a Catholic Church. There was a period between those benchmarks when I also attended church every Sunday morning at 7am with my father. I’d bring something to color or draw, and we’d head out into the dark, cold morning together and be home in time for coffee and breakfast. I can’t say, however, that I was raised strictly Catholic. My mother didn’t go to church often, and that period where I was going with my father was short enough that I don’t really remember it very well. I had an extremely devout Aunt and Uncle, and the requirements of Catholic children which I mentioned before were certainly expected of me and awarded once achieved. But when I turned eleven, and decided I didn’t want to continue my supplemental Christian education and that I didn’t care about being confirmed in the Church, I can say now that I am so grateful my parents looked at me and said, “Okay.”

Thank God for my wonderful parents, who never forced a thing upon me. They were willing to let me explore religion for myself, watching me go through phases of Christianity, to thinking about Judaism, to Buddhism to athiesim and probably a great mixture of all of those things. It was only very recently that I found myself in the pews of a Christian church again, feeling more at home than I ever had before and truly connected to my faith.

Now, those of you who know me well know that I have, what us young folks call, “mad love,” for Mary. Mary is my home girl. I have been criticized in the past for worshiping a false idol when I speak of my devotion to Mary, and my explanation goes something along the lines of, “If you have any connection with your mother, or a mother, or a mother-like figure in your life, then you’d understand the kind of power that feeling has.” My house is adorned with her and I spent some time recently searching for more prints and unique Mary iconography to add to my collection. This is how I stumbled upon Patron Saints. I have a friend who recently tattooed her arm with a fantastic patron saint image, and we had a long conversation about our love of religious and specifically Catholic imagery and tradition. While I was perusing a Patron Saint website, I came across one in particular that caught my eye—St. Elisabeth of Hungary, the patron saint of bakers.

St. Elisabeth of Hungary lived in Hungary in the 13th century. She was the daughter of the King of Hungary (Andrew) and gave up her life of lavish wealth and royalty in order to serve God and the poor. She handed out loaves of bread to the masses of poor peasants in Hungary every day. She lived a very short life, and her interest in the commoners made her beloved by Hungarians. This led to her canonization and sainthood. There are a few things about St. Elisabeth of Hungary that tug deeply at my heart and soul strings.

First, traditionally spelled, her name is Elisabeth—yep, spelled with an “s”. Who else is named Elisabeth spelled with an “s”? Oh that’s right—me. Elisabeth of Hungary and I share the same non-traditionally English spelling of our name. My parents picked it because it was the Italian spelling, and my maternal Great-Grandmother’s name was Elisa. It is also the Hungarian spelling and a common Slavic spelling. This leads me to my next astonishing similarity.

St. Elisabeth was Hungarian. She was descendant of the Magyars, and the Magyars conquered and controlled a portion of Eastern Europe on the Adriatic Sea during the Middle Ages which included the modern day country of Slovenia. I am a proud half-Slovene and can certainly identify with St. Elisabeth’s heritage. While I am not Hungarian, a Hungarian influence is dominant in modern Slovenian and Northern Italian cuisine. Poppy seeds and beets are two staples of both those regional cuisines, not to mention a striking similarity in Slovenian and Hungarian cooking styles. Spaetzles, dumplings, goulash, paprikash: we’ve shared, traded and adopted it all.

It was easy for me to fall in love with St. Elisabeth of Hungary after reading about her for the very first time. I don’t know how I never found her before, but I know things seem to come and go, appear and resurface in my life for a reason. Reading about St. Elisabeth led me to wonder more about my official first name, and to discover its roots and meaning. I was struck once again by what I found. I turned to Wikipedia, which I know is unreliable, but I believe much of it anyway, and it told me…

“Elizabeth or Elisabeth is the Greek translation of the Hebrew name Elisheva, meaning "God's promise," "oath of God," or "I am God’s daughter." Elizabeth and Elisabeth are the parent unit names of Lisa, and Lilly, and Ella; Elsa, Isabel and Isabella are etymologically related variants.”

As many of you may already know, in August of next year I will be starting a program of study to earn my Master of Divinity, eventually becoming an ordained minister. The meaning of my name holds very dear to me, and I am so very glad I decided to take the time to discover it. I am, as we speak, ordering a St. Elisabeth of Hungary medal and of course images of her will be added to my already scrutinized collection of said “false,” idols. I will be baking Ciabatta bread this weekend, and cookies, and will no doubt be thinking of her, as I rub my rosary beads and pray, like some of my ancestors may have, “Pane, pane, cresci, cresci como Jesu bambino,” or rather, “Bread, bread, grow, grow like baby Jesus.” Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Hi - please check out my photo and poem for the day today - you'll see another version of Saint Betty there! Jan Morrison on facebook. (I'm the one in Nova Scotia)

    ReplyDelete