21 March 2011

Six Week Project: Day Eight

Friday nights are one of my favorite times of the entire week. To me, five o'clock on Friday is the beginning of the end of the work week, and the official start to the weekend. My fondess for Friday nights goes far beyond work, however, I imagine. I've held that particular evening dear to me ever since I was a teenager in High School, and Friday nights during the Fall meant marching band, football games, and sharing time with my good friends. This has grown into a desire for fun on Friday nights, and as of late, fun has become food. I love to make and eat fun food on Fridays. Pizza is a fun food, chili is a fun food, burgers are a fun food, and as I make these things myself I can craft them so that they fit into my locavorian-seasonal-natural food culture. This weekend, I managed to add another "fun" food to this list: Sushi.

My friend Michael and I had been planning a sushi-making session for several months, and this Friday we were finally able to get together and "roll," if you will. We decided that because the raw fish availability in the Mid-Ohio Valley might be questionable at best, that we'd make one of our mutual favorites: California Rolls. California Rolls are seaweed wrappers stuffed with sticky sushi rice, and wrapped around avocado, cucumber and imitation crab. Now, this meal did not, in any way, fall into the parameters of my local-seasonal-natural philosophy, but it was fun and every once in awhile I splurge and buy a cucumber in March!

I just have to say that we made some damn good sushi. Our sushi rice was superb, sticky and perfectly cooked. Our rolls were tightly wrapped and easy to slice. We spent a good portion of the end of our meal with tears welling in our eyes, laughing at one another as we suffered through our love of pungent wasabi as we tortured ourselves with every green bite. It was a fun. Period. Enjoy and always remember to buy local and eat well.







Michael is working the Rice Vinegar into the rice. It became translucent and sticky and we were so very proud.



Michael rolling the second roll.


No comments:

Post a Comment