11 March 2011

Six Week Project: Day One

Stir-crazy. Yep. That is the perfect expression to describe my emotions, my mind and my spirit as of late. It's nearing the end of winter, we've all been trapped indoors in close proximity to one another for the past four months, and burn-out is imminent. I've been eating rutabagas, turnips, cabbage, potatoes, and apples for what seems like an eternity, and I'm ready for some asparagus spears to pierce the surface of the soil so that I may roast and delight in them. When I get this way, I know exactly how to solve it. A project.

Many people have asked me over the course of the past two years how I've changed my diet, what I eat, or what I've done to lose weight. I try to explain it, but often it seems like there's so much to say that I never manage to convey everything I'd like. I decided tonight, while scooping a spoonful of barley onto my dinner plate, that I ought to share my meals. What better way to explain a diet or a way of eating than by sharing meals with someone? Therefore, I'm going to share my meals with all of you for the next six weeks. This is a little Lenten project that will hopefully also help me stay on the healthy eating bandwagon and not have a thousand calories worth of just peanut butter for dinner anymore. Yes, yes there can be too much of a good (and healthy) thing.

Each dinner I eat, from now until Friday, April 22nd will be posted on this blog, along with how I made it or where it's from if I've eaten out. Any of my Facebook friends are probably aware that my last project, "Photo of the Day," died several weeks ago when some extra activity was added to my life and I simply lost the time to keep up with it. That will not be happening to the Six Week Project. From now on, you'll be privy to a glimpse of how this natural, organic, seasonal, local eater dines every night. We'll start with tonight...

Last Tuesday, my girlfriend and I cooked up a bag of fresh fettuccine she'd bought from Ohio City Pasta at the West Side Market in Cleveland. She bought regular semolina and basil. Wanting to get the most out of the pasta as possible, I decided to whip up some quick marinara sauce with some veggies for added nutrition. There was a big bowl of said sauce leftover after we feasted, so tonight I decided to enjoy it over barley instead of pasta.

A cup of cooked hulled barley constitutes 54% of your daily fiber requirement. Just like oatmeal, it's fabulous for your heart, and cholesterol levels. Remember to buy the hulled barley, as it is considered a whole grain, whereas pearl barley is not. I try to consume as many whole grains as possible, and very little to preferably no white flour. Thus inspiring the use of barely for me and leaving the leftover fettuccine for my girlfriend.


Quick Vegetable Marinara over Barley with a
Small Tossed Salad

2 TBS. extra virgin olive oil
1 large local garlic clove, minced
Half of a local onion, minced
2 large carrots, peeled, halved and sliced thinly
1 cup diced green bell pepper (mine were local, chopped and frozen from the summer)
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 14.5 oz. can of organic fire roasted diced tomatoes (no salt)
1 14.5 oz. can of organic fire roasted crushed tomatoes
1 cup water
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. organic evaporated cane juice (Florida crystals)
a pinch of hot red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

1. In a medium size sauce pan, combine the oil and the garlic while you chop the rest of the vegetables. Heat the oil over medium heat and add the onions, carrots and peppers. Saute, stirring frequently, until tender (10 minutes).

2. Add the red wine, and simmer until the wine is reduced by half. Add the diced and crushed tomatoes, the water, oregano, basil, evaporated cane juice, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer at least 30 minutes, stirring often. Taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper to your liking. I simmered mine for about an hour, until it was thickened.

This is what I ate over my cooked barley, topped with chickpeas for protein, and I made a small salad with mixed mesculin greens and micro greens from Green Edge Organics, a shredded carrot and my typical mustard vinaigrette. When I make salad dressing I usually combine 2 TBS. of some kind of mustard (Dijon, whole-grain, Honey, etc.) with 1/4 cup of vinegar (usually balsamic, apple cider, or rice), some salt and pepper, 1 TBS. honey, onion powder, oregano and 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil in a mason jar and shake. I switch it up depending on my mood, and just keep replenishing the jar as I use it.

Day One, down. Enjoy. Always remember to buy local.

No comments:

Post a Comment