23 March 2011

Six Week Project: Day Ten

While I know this project was meant to showcase every dinner I eat for the six weeks of which Lent consists, some days dinner just doesn't happen. Sundays have a tendency to be those kinds of days. Unless I have an immaculate dinner planned already, the highlighted meal of my Sunday often turns out to be breakfast.

Sunday is my splurge day on breakfast. I eat a serving size of measured out Kashi cereal, a cup of coffee and sometimes a banana every single day of the week, except Sunday. Sunday is fun day, if you will. I love to cook breakfast, and have found myself recently in posession of company on Sunday mornings, for whom I cook breakfast and we lounge on the couch and enjoy each other's company. I know, pretty much my domestically inclined dream.

Therefore, as my "dinner" turned out to be chips and guacamole this night, I'm going to share my breakfast recipe with you instead. And if you're anything like me, breakfast for dinner (as in at 5 or 6pm, not ten am when we ate it) is also a fabulous treat. My health-i-fied version of a dish I order at First Watch Cafe in Cleveland was on the menu for this Sunday morning: Queen Honeybea's Whole-Grain Banana Crunch Pancakes. Enjoy, and always remember to buy local and eat well.


Queen Honeybea's
Whole-Grain Banana Crunch Pancakes
Serves 4

2 local, free-range eggs, beaten
2 cups local, organic skim milk
1/2 cup lowfat organic plain yogurt
1/4 cup local, pure maple syrup
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 TBS. pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup white whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 large bananas, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 cup of crunchy, organic granola of your choice

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, yogurt, maple syrup, oil and vanilla. Set aside.

2. In a medium size bowl, mix together the whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour, oat flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.

3. Grease and heat a large griddle pan over medium heat, until water droplets sizzle when dropped onto the surface. All at once add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, folding until just combined and still lumpy. Pour out your pancakes using a 1/2 cup measuring cup. On each pancake, place banana slices and sprinkle some of the granola. When the edges are turning brown and the top is covered with bubbles, flip the pancakes until just browned on the opposite side. Serve hot with butter, pure maple syrup or organic peanut butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment