03 April 2011

Six Week Project: Day Twenty Four


Sunday dinner. Period.

I love cooking Sunday dinner. It's a family thing. We've always had a thing about Sunday dinners and the thought of spending the afternoon in my kitchen preparing a meal with excessive amounts of love and thought, to nourish those who are dearest to me, to coddle them in my nest and keep them safe, warm and full. Okay, I know. However...Sunday dinner was on tap for today.

My mother makes some mean sauce and meatballs. That's where I learned, and I still make my sauce the way my Mom does, with very few changes. However, like one of my Aunts, I love, love, love to cook chicken in my sauce. I don't think this is my Mom's favorite, as she never did it when I was growing up (nor does she do it now), but a pot of tomato sauce simmering with bone-in chicken and chunks of Italian sausage sounds like a bubbling vat of Heaven to me. And that is exactly what it was. So here's to Sunday. And you won't be getting the recipe, because like every other good Italian woman, my sauce recipe is under lock and key, tucked into my brassiere, close to my heart.






Tonight we had:

Homemade Sauce with
King Family Farm Chicken Thighs and Bulk Sweet Italian Sausage
Whole-Wheat Organic Cavatappi
Village Bakery Italian Whole-Wheat bread
Salad with greens and micro greens from Green Edge Organicsand Carrots, Radishes and Green Onions from the Athens Farmer's Market



Mangia. Per favore. And always remember to buy local and eat well. Ciao for today.

1 comment:

  1. Betsy, this looks SO SO good. I love italian sausage and LOVE pasta. And absolutely love crusty bread. So, this meal is right up my alley. :-) I hope to eat Italian food with you soon.

    ReplyDelete